- This event has passed.
Sports Horse Medicine & Orthopaedics – A 2-Day Practical Course
May 7 - May 8
Postponed until 2022
Equine practitioners working with sports horses are under considerable pressure to keep the horses under their care competing at the highest level at all times. Furthermore, evaluating poorly performing competition horses can be a daunting task because the clinical signs caused by different conditions may be very similar, leaving vets wondering where to start their investigation.
The world-renowned speakers will provide a broad overview on the most important topics in sports horse medicine and orthopaedics and will cover the following subjects through highly-illustrated and interactive presentations and by sharing many practical tips and tricks with the attendees:
- Latest Developments in Orthopaedic Therapies – Polyacrylamide, Pro-stride, Resveratrol, Stem Cell Therapy, PrP, IRAP etc.
- A Novel Perspective on Overground Endoscopy
- Applications for Objective Lameness Evaluation Analysis in Sports Horses
- New Ways of using Haematology & Biochemistry in Sports Horses
- Lameness Examination – When things get complicated; Reliability/Repeatability of Blocks, Multiple Site/Limb Lameness
- Which Heart Murmurs are relevant in Sports Horses
- Practical Equine Rehabilitation – A review of Available Modalities
- Exercise Testing – Identifying Subclinical Problems in Sports Horses
- Contentious Issues in Sports Horse Pre-Purchase Examination
- Feeding the Competitive Athlete
In the afternoons, 7 hours of practical sessions will allow attendees to further their practical skills on live horses in small groups (2-4 vets per ultrasound). Each attendee will rotate through the following practical sessions supervised by the specialists:
- Distal Limb Ultrasound – Attendees to choose area to examine
- Flexor Tendons & Suspensory Ligament or
- Digital Flexor Tendon Sheath & Fetlock or
- Objective Lameness Evaluation (Equinosis Q – Lameness Locator) as part of the Lameness Examination
- Upper Respiratory Endoscopy & Overground Case Discussions
- Ultrasound of the Stifle Region or Palpation & Radiographic Techniques – Neck, Back & Pelvis
- Objective Lameness Evaluation as part of the Pre-Purchase Exam
- Exercise Testing – ECG, Lactate Measurements etc.
The course fee includes lunches, coffee/tea breaks, a wine & cheese reception, extensive electronic course notes and a certificate of attendance. Attendees can choose to only attend the lectures (= Lectures Only) on this course or can register for the entire course (= Lectures & Practical Sessions). Early course registration is recommended as there are only a limited number of places available due to the highly practical nature of this course.